nutella smores.

It's early. I sit, wrapped in the fleece blanket we brought to the beach last night. Breathe deep and you can smell a faint bonfire. Camera was in tow last night, of course. Memory card? On my desk. I don't want to forget. Here goes...

The orange glow of sunset peeked in our blinds. "Let's go tonight." Change of plans, gorgeous weather, the beach called.

We walked down a new path. We know most paths down to "our" segment of beach after years of sunset walks down. This one was new, with a winding wooden staircase. White flowers, shaped like bluebells, lined the path. Their scent was so strong in the thinning light.

I insisted on carrying the backpack for a moment. Quite heavy. Blanket, mallows, a small knife to carve perfect sticks and other beachy supplies. He took it back, smiling. The lack of weight made my legs forget my fear of steepness. Almost floating, skipping down the path. We were close.

Past the ravine, over the grassy hill built up to support the railroad ties, there it was. This year's first visit. Our segment of the beach. Of course we've visited the restaurants that twinkle to the South. Lighting up as night approaches. We've walked the pier, felt the breeze, but not yet here, not this year.

As we move down the steep ledge, we gather driftwood that tucks itself in between the giant rocks. Large, small, partially burned, they all contribute. We reach the bottom, sticks in tow. The sunset is just waning. Oh! How I wish I could show that to you. The water, looked surreal, the faintest blue you can imagine. Icy, I though, icy blue, so bright and so.. faint. The sky, transitioning between creamsicle, soft pink and the blue I know. The trees. Oh, the trees stood in stark silhouette up the cliff, so westcoast.

I sat, he knew what to do. Told to just sit, rest, he knew. In what seemed like moments, the paper he brought along, surrounded in a driftwood tipi, was ready. The match lit. The smell was intoxicating. The smell of Summer lies in that first whiff of campfire smoke.

7 comments:

Joanne Angelina said...

Beautiful images and I really love this post, now i'm craving for some nutella s'mores! Have a good weekend! Although I wish there would be less rain here in Toronto, lol.
xoxo

Leslie, Lemon Sweet Life said...

Lovely blog!! I just drew for the winner of my Love Spinner necklace and you won!! Congrats!! :)

Juliana said...

Michelle my bell, these are words that go together well...

I LOVE your blog. I LOVE it! Welcome to 2OSB, I am now following you. I just adore your blog layout and your words. Ah...those beautiful words!

So...let me start by asking if you designed your blog because I need HELP! I need a blog makeover BAD and I need one that it not cluttered and FRESH and CLEAN. If you are interested let me know. It is very nice to "meet" you

Holly Renee said...

I love the pics you have on your blog. I love the words you have shared in this post. Blogging certainly comes naturally to you. I'm so glad I came by to check it out. It's beautiful!

zuzana said...

I think you should write a book. you are really good!!! ;)

Christine said...

Beautiful post! Love how you describe everything...no pictures are needed. How nice to be so close to the beach.

Clare said...

Ah, I know the feeling, so frustrating when there is something wonderful to capture and you're without a camera... but your description has left some beautiful pictures in my head!

Post a Comment