no igloos here.

Thinking about it, this post probably won't challenge any Canadian stereotypes. It has nothing to do with dog sledding to work, or snowshoeing back home to my cozy igloo. Instead, it's about the (scrumptious) moose we had for dinner tonight. Moose roast on a bed of garlic mash, with roasted asparagus, to be precise.

It was a first for me. Moose tastes just like beef- with a little extra sweetness. A while back, a family friend of Tyron's had just come back from a hunting trip. I suppose he had a little extra, and we received a 4 lb. moose roast. (And if you're feeling adventurous, it's got my full recommendation!)

The mash recipe came from Martha Stewart. Her cookbook didn't quite get to moose, so we went to wildliferecipies.net. The asparagus are a favorite on mine. Drizzle with olive oil, s&p, and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. So easy and so tender!

For dessert? Tyron crumbled peanut butter cups on chocolate frogurt. I'm scraping the bowl as I type; we're suckers for anything peanut butter.

7 comments:

FabulousFashions4SensibleStyle said...

Good to know, Michelle! I have never had moose, but now I know what to expect! As for the desert, I think my sister and boyfriend would love that...peanut butter cups and they are sold! :)

Liesl :)

Lavender Playground said...

I've never tried moose before..I've had ostrich, that tasted just like beef too.

connally said...

delicioso! now i am super hungry. :)
never had moose, but those pictures make me want to try it.

Lisa Ridgely said...

I, also, have never had moose, but it looks like a delicious dinner! I prepare my asparagus the exact same way, and it is so, so good like that - one of my favorites, too!

sarah sue said...

wow! quite a meal! i have never tried moose before... looks good though. :) beautiful photos!

Kelly said...

This sounds amazing! I thought eating deer (venison) as a kid was strange, but moose? I wish had a reason to visit Alaska now! In the meantime, I think I'm going to have to your try your peanut butter and chocolate frogurt.

Francesca said...

You have me drooling! I'd exchange the moose for beef, though, because I would have a hard time eating that. Once again, your photography is beautiful.

Post a Comment