learning mendhi.

Last night marked my first Mendhi party. A dear classmate is getting married this weekend, and yesterday, all the ladies received intricate henna designs. Packed in a suitcase, the henna came straight from India.

With designs and extra tubes laying about, Jas, the bride, asked if I would do a few. In high school, friends and I did little henna hearts on each other. But this, ladies and gentlemen, is my first foray into Wedding Mendhi, with Jas' cousin being the brave model:


(I later did designs on little ones too, and Jas' mother and sister!)

The professionals do incredibly intricate work. Jas' bridal mendhi (with the grooms name hidden amongst the design!):

Lastly, my hand this morning (which I can't stop looking at!)

9 comments:

 Kim said...

I love henna, i always henna me and my friends. I pretty much cover my body and my sister's (she is my practice model). These pictures are beautiful, i really want to attend one of these parties. I'll post some pictures of my hennas up soon.x.x

Michelle Elisabeth said...

Please do! I'd love to see your designs :)
Where do you buy the henna? There's was straight from India, but that's a tad far for me!

Lavender Playground said...

Wow it is so beautiful, the details on the bride's mendhi is stunning. My friend and I tried henna at Venice Beach, we were so sad that our beautiful patterns didn't last longer (gone in three days!) How long does the Indian henna last?

robyn michelle-lee @ this is life. said...

i love henna! gorgeous!

 Kim said...

I get it off ebay, i know this indian lady on there, she makes fresh batches and sends them off the same day. I keep it in my freezer if i'm not going it straight away/ i don't use it all. It's really cheap too,x

sarah sue said...

wow! so pretty! :) i have always wanted something like that. it's such beautiful art.

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Wow so beautiful.

Nedda Ebo said...

the design on the second last photo is so beautiful

Clare said...

These are amazing Michelle, the designs are so intricate and beautiful.

Post a Comment